Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fire Alarm

The funniest thing happened Sunday morning, but I have to give you a little background first. So my smoke detector is right outside my bathroom door and so when we take a shower and forget to close the door, the alarm will go off. Anyway Saturday we spoke to Annie and Mags about what to do in the case of a fire. They share a room in the basement and sleep in bunkbeds. So we told the girls all of the steps they should take to get out of the house through their window. We turned the fire alarm on so they could hear it. Annie was a little upset about the whole thing, but I told her it was just like a firedrill like school and most likely we would never have a fire. So Sunday morning Scott wakes up at 4:30 am to shower and go to work and at 5:30 am ten minutes after he left the fire alarm starts to go off. I am so tired, I think it is my alarm clock and I keep trying to turn it off until I hear sweet little Annie in the basement yelling at Maggie to wake up there is a fire. I jump up and go to the bathroom to put my contacts in and I keep yelling to Annie that it's okay, there isn't a fire. (Good thing there wasn't one because I'm blind). She couldn't hear me over the alarm, so I turned it off by fanning the moisture away and run downstairs. Annie had jumped out of bed, closed her bedroom door so the smoke wouldn't come in, woke up Maggie (but Maggie wouldn't get out of bed) and was trying her hardest to open the window. The window has two latches (bad idea for a little kid) and she was a little nervous, so she locked one and the other was unlocked. I had to show her how to open the window again. Anyway I was just so proud of my little six year old. She is such a big kid now.

3 comments:

Korie Bellamy Photography said...

Love this story ... I'm glad you blogged it and I'm also glad you realize that the top lock has to be unlocked or your girls wouldn't have been able to get out. What a good firedrill ... next one planned for Teusday at 4:30a.m. (hopefully the hour difference will shake it up a little ... glad you're on board)

Dani said...

That is hilarious! and sad that she was so scared. Good job prepping her, and Annie, good job on doing your best to carry it out! Cute. Totally relate (well, not anymore) to being blind in the middle of the night. PRK surgery was so worth it. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can now actually see what time it is!

The Pitcher Family said...

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Dani I am so jealous! You can only imagine how long it will take to convince Scott I have to have that surgery!